Saturday 25 August 2007

The Nagai Welcoming Party

So I have arrived at the very special Nagai residence. It's been fun so far, even with the natural communication barriers. I think (although it's hard to tell) that I have passed the potential son-in-law test. Mind you, the bottles and scotch and sake for day and tea for mum helped to seal the deal, I think.

Getting here was no easy feat, however. We spent yesterday wandering around a couple more of Kyoto's special places - including the impressive (but very over-the-top) Kinkakuji Temple (also called the Golden Temple... as it's made out of gold, and all). We also popped over to Ryoanji Shrine, a very beautiful ancient Zen garden. The place was so beautiful that I decided to officially pop the question to Satomi - this time including the ring. Thankfully, she accepted!

After the temple-fest, we headed back to the sprawling Kyoto Station to get the Thunderbird train back to Kanazawa. Satomi, in her wisdom, decided to buy the cheaper "non reserved" tickets. "Fine, that's cool," I thought, envisaging nothing worse that the commuter crush I experience every morning on the way to work. Not to be, however. You see, "non reserved" in JR language actually means they sell about 30 more tickets than there are seats. Which meant that for the 2.5 hour trip, I had a choice between squeezing myself and my bags into a crapped exit doorway (which was not air-conditioned), or choking to death in the smoking carriage. Despite being a smoker, I baulked at having to spend the trip sucking down other peoples habits. So the sweaty doorway it was... but we got here ok.

Right now, the Nagai family is getting ready for a big outing to Noto to celebrate Yoshihiko's (Dad) 60th birthday. I will also get to meet the extended Nagai clan, as well as Grandma. Can't wait to once again be the centre of non-English speaking attention... paranoia much?

Love yas,
Ben

No comments: